Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Random Mini Country Profile (1)

So... I've decided my general knowledge of the world is poor in comparison to where I'd like it to be... so I'm going to start doing some small blogs on countries I randomly deem of importance that relate to whatever I'm doing at the time whether it be in big way or something random.  Right now, as I read Life of Pi, I've decided I will start with India.  So some current data on India courtesy of the CIA World Factbook:

The Republic of India is currently a Federal Republic, with President Pratibha Patil, and she is the 12th president (elected in 2007) and first woman to be president of the Republic of India, though not the first woman in charge in this country (interesting story on Indira Ghandi, the longest runner for woman holding the position of prime minister, 1966-1977 and 1980 until she was assassinated 31 October 1984).  The capital, as many may know, is New Delhi, which is located in the northern part of the country.  It borders Bangladesh, China, Nepal, Bhutan, Burma and Pakistan.  It has the world's third tallest mountain, the Kanchenjunga on the border with Nepal.  Population of 1,189,172,906 (July 2011 est). second only to China and followed by the U.S.

And yes, that is India in a nutshell, and I really should be expanding on why I think this is important and how it applies to my life, but right now I just feel like I have an inadequate grasp of what's going on in the world... and maybe writing some things into this blog will keep my mind active and keep me from only knowing what is immediately in the news.  I promise to write something more personal, interesting, and in depth next time.  Tonight, again:  sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment